Friday, July 22, 2005

Words Deferred Success Me...

Well, well! Now we can't use the word "fail" anymore. Apparently:

The word "fail" should be banned from use in classrooms and replaced with the phrase "deferred success" to avoid demoralising pupils, a group of teachers has proposed.

Members of the Professional Association of Teachers (PAT) argue that telling pupils they have failed can put them off learning for life.

You know, I deferred success to see the logic in doing this. If kids don't learn the meaning of deferred sucessure at an early age, they will without deferred success be deferred successes in society. When political correctness goes this far, words deferred success me.

This kinda reminds me of CBC not wanting to use the word "terrorist". (see story here)

I have some suggestions for politically correct terms they could use:

terrorist attack - servicing a target using preemptive counterattack to alter the health of soft targets causing destabilization to interdictional nonsuccumbers.

Suicide attack - autoeuthanasia via energetic disassembly to render soft targets nonviable .

What really is the difference between banning words and banning books? After all, books are just a buncha words attached together...

Update: more diferred success

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now I have to say my granfather died of heart deferred success?!?
JP

12:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Also, you must have used a dictionary for this post. Those definitions seem a little too articulate for you. I guess your deferred success in English class has been defered no longer. ;-)

Great stuff!!!

Tom

5:12 PM  
Blogger Candace said...

Excellent job - I envy your imagination.

Maybe you should start a "words aren't scary" section?

12:35 AM  
Blogger alsocanadian said...

Hey, Niq, that is possibly the best non-Canadian blog I have ever had the pleasure of reading. It is very Kinsella-ish...

Thanks Candace. That gives me an idea...Harper isn't-scary words!

Easy Tom. You are right, though. My expert "Tom" came up with those defs. What is it with you Toms?

11:53 AM  
Blogger bob said...

Let's defer any payment and recognition for the joker who came up with this concept forthwith. Maybe even re-groove this person, huh?

7:42 PM  
Blogger Sudiegirl said...

Dude...great minds think alike! I also did a post on this particular story at my blog. Check it out at http://musingsofachick.blogspot.com

I agree with you totally. My mother's favorite phrase describing this type of activity is "antics with semantics"...so true, so true.

So now I must depart, so don't defer success to write be back!

Sudiegirl

12:46 AM  
Blogger Candace said...

Just so everyone knows, the public school system in BC has been deferring success for some time now (hence the rise in private schools there).

In fact, on Sports Day, EVERYONE gets a ribbon so no one feels bad. I think they're all the same colour, too, so as not to make those that deferred success feel bad in comparison to those that did not.

Because, you know, that's the way it works in the real world, right?

3:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Most clever, amusing, and fitting title for a blog entry EVER! :)

11:25 AM  
Blogger alsocanadian said...

Thanks Drunk! Er...you're not drunk now, are you...

11:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home