Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Obligatory Budget Post

Individuals are pissed today. People with grown children are mad. Apprently everyone in the media and quite a few Bloggers fit these two demographics. I am not 100% happy with the budget, but I just want to point out that people in this demographic have been targeted for the last 25 years and its time for families to get a piece of the pie. In an ideal world we should be taxed as a household, rather than as an idividual, but until then we need to tackle at least some of the unfairness in the current tax system. If I read one more story about how the average Canadian - "ordinary, hard-working folk" - got nothing in the budget I'm gonna punch something. I guess people with kids aren't average Canadians. We are the extremist fringe or something.

Complain all you want about the increase in spending, I know I have, but don't say that the budget sucks because you didn't personally get any tax breaks this time around. If we did have a fair tax system, then cuts would benefit everyone equally, but until then, just enjoy the fact that you don't have to pay for diapers or school supplies.

9 Comments:

Blogger Joanne (True Blue) said...

I agree with you totally. Especially the title. ;)

9:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bang on. Thanks for appreciating the families. I'm doing my turn.

2:44 AM  
Blogger Jesse said...

Hey Tom, can you elaborate on this for me?

In an ideal world we should be taxed as a household, rather than as an idividual

Thank you.

2:36 AM  
Blogger "Expert" Tom said...

Jesse,

I think that the household income should be taxed based on the number of individuals in the household. This is similar to how they tax in France. I think we could get reasonably close by having income splitting as well as tax credits for children. The other aspect to this would be a flat tax and the simplification of the tax system. There are several ways to approach this and I haven't really come to any conclusions which are the best ways.

Notloz,

I actually agree with some of your comments. This is a political budget which follows in tradition of every other Canadian budget no matter who is in power. I also agree that the Navy deserved more funding. I can handle the budget as a compromise due to minority status, but I would think you would be much more upset if they tabled a more conservative budget. I would like to know however, if you think they are spending too much, what would you like to see cut? If they are not spending enough, where would you like to see the money go and what would you cut to balance?

I would also defend Quebec a little bit wrt the amount they got. They represent the largest population of have-noters in Canada and therefore would naturally get more for this. Also, the money given to the provinces could be used to improve healthcare which is provincial jurisdiction.

12:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As usual, the devil is in the fine print which amounts to more than Flaherty was ALLOWED to say

9:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know it sounds crazy but if we raise taxes 1% for a little while to help both then we can give more money to our troops who are putting their lives on the line and are still getting killed and get more Navy boats, etc. Try not to spazz but it might be worth it in the end. And keep in mind I never said pernament but just something till we have something better to refer to.

2:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree that we need to look at the big picture but we need to get some major things cleared up first. And plus we can never predict the future so I'm sure the Conservative government wasn't saying ok well there is gona be an economic low soon that we know of but let's lower taxes anyway. They were most likely trying to make it easier on Canadians with all the homelessness and poverty continuing to increase.

2:31 AM  
Anonymous sex shop blog said...

Little doubt, the dude is completely fair.

1:23 PM  
Anonymous SARA JADE said...

This blog seems to cover a range of topics including Canadian politics, humor, and sports. It includes posts about political strategies, economic policies, and cultural references. Some posts are satirical, while others offer commentary on current events. Overall, it appears to be a platform for engaging with Canadian issues and political discourse in a lighthearted manner.

Bungalow Finder

6:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home