Thursday, February 24, 2005

Zeig Heil!

Most Canadians Think US Should Not Promote Democracy: Poll

More than three-quarters of Canadians believe the US should not try to promote democracy in other countries.
An Associated Press/Ipsos-Reid poll followed US President George Bush's January inaugural address that called for the U-S to work to end tyranny and promote democracy around the world.
Only 22 per cent of Canadians questioned thought it appropriate for the US to push democracy.

Well, I'm sure glad the Americans don't give a damn what we think! I wonder if Canadians felt that way during WW2? Or how 'bout during the cold war? I'm not that good with languages, I'd hate to have had to learn German or Russian...

Another part of the poll: results also found that only 18 per cent of Canadians thought American products are better than Canadian made ones.

Now, I know that most of you have been watching the CBC too much and have been told anything American is bad, but come on! Is your "Beaver 3000" computer better than my Intel? What about your ipod? Does the "cpod" have better sound? Your "Canuck 750" faster than my Harley?

Lets not allow prejudice to blind us. Their products are as good as ours (except for maybe Ski-doos, they kicks ass), and promoting democracy abroad is never a bad thing.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like my chev maple-abu way better than the crummy US malibu.

10:55 PM  
Blogger Darcey said...

I'm thinking that poll may be misleading. I've read that total polled was 100 or a 1000? Something to that affect. I'll dig for the number and post the link for you.

So that means either 75 or 750 people were against democracy and at the greatest representaion we are only looking at 2/1000. Then you have to look at where they called. Quebec? Ottawa area? Cool thing to explore. Like your site dude!

12:20 PM  
Blogger Darcey said...

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2005/02/22/national/w142414S47.DTL

Sorry - link not showing up in blogger comments.

3:43 PM  
Blogger alsocanadian said...

Thanks for the compliment, Darcey!
The poll was a sample of 1000, but like you say, which 1000? 1000 from Quebec just might have slightly different opinions than 1000 from Alberta;)
Course, they might have got their phone list from one of the sponsorship advertising firms. It does kinda seem similar to the Liberals opinions...

4:37 PM  
Blogger Darcey said...

I got the poll data and posted on my site. MSM twists it of course and there is some material that they did not report. See what you think.

6:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home