Monday, January 15, 2007

Where in the World is Mark Persaud?

Is the media biased or do we want it both ways? I remembered something last week about two Liberal MPs defecting to the Conservatives and kept my eye out for the usual interviews with angry members of the riding where former Liberal MP Mark Persaud sits. I couldn't find anything in the media about it. The MSM was so quiet on the issue that I started to doubt whether it was true or was I just imagining it. Did someone in the Blogging Tories just pull a prank? Then I tried a google search and lo and behold, yes it was true, but only a few talk radio stations covered what I would think would be very important news outside of the blogshere. Actually CTV did mention something about it but it was on their political blog.

I'm not sure why there was a cover-up on this. I mean the way the MSM was playing up the Khan defection, I would think that defections were big news and that it showed the Conservatives as "same as the old guys" when it comes to political opportunism. That being said, if defections in Canadian politics gets such negative press, then shouldn't we be happy that the MSM isn't making a big deal out of this. I'm just perplexed as to why one defection is so much more important that two. Could it be that a second backbencher leaving the Liberals for the Conservatives and getting no reward would show that they are leaving out of principal? Would it signal the end of Liberal dominance when it comes to attracting the ethnic vote? Or, was the MSM just doing the CPC a favour and not pointing out the flaunting of demecrocy that is floor crossing? Maybe Canadians beleive that in a domocracy you vote for the candidate as well as the party and one doesn't trump the other.

You be the judge. You can probably guess the way I'm leaning on this one.

Update: The answer is that its because Mark Persaud isn't an MP. I guess that makes sense. Thanks for the commenters who pointed this out without making too much fun of me. Cheers.

3 Comments:

Blogger Robert McClelland said...

Mark Persaud isn't an MP. He's just a party flunky.

12:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You need to change this post.... Persaud was head of the Liberal multiculturalism committee, not an MP.

1:00 PM  
Blogger "Expert" Tom said...

Which probably explains why this isn't in the MSM and was hard to find. Thanks for the update.

1:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home